Friday, April 23, 2010

Scrap Like Nobody's Looking

Hello Girls!

Katharyn here. I'm one of the {lucky} new chicks at Jennifer Fox Designs and I've gotta say, I'm thoroughly stoked to be here.

Just a heads-up, I'm an Aussie, so any slang or spelling oddities you may come across here today are perfectly justified. ;)

I've got this layered template for you and I'm soooo hoping you'll have fun using it. I am an unashamed user of templates. I know there are some of you out there who consider it "cheating" unless you create something totally from scratch. I'm not one of them.

Why not use them? If you need a no-stress layout that records a story and illustrates it with a photo or two, then what's wrong with taking this easier, quicker approach to get it done? I'm all for learning new photoshop techniques and sometimes attempting to create absolute masterpieces that would make even Martha Stewart blush (or Ali Edwards, or Cathy Zielske, or whomever it is who's your scrapbooking goddess).

But between you and me, there are times that I just want to scrap like nobody's going to be looking at it. It's just for me. It just needs to make me happy. Not every page needs to be perfect, gorgeous, or even created from scratch. In the same way that not every cake you make needs to be made from scratch - I sometimes use a packet mix - Eeeekkk!!!! Does that make me less of a mum? Do the kids say it tastes different? Nah. It's all good.

I'm not saying cut all your corners. But just don't make it harder than it has to be. There is a time and a place to focus on all aspects of your scrapping - from developing your photography skills, to learning how to fix them up digitally. From focussing on your titling work, to working on your drop shadows. And there is a time to painstakingly 'umm and ahh' about where to place all your elements and photos about the page, and a time to say "You know what? I'm going to concentrate on the story / photo/ kit this time around." Using someone else's sketch, and crediting them for it, is ok.

As busy mums, or working career women, or volunteers, or whatever - our scrapping time is finite, so we need to use it wisely.

And just so you know, we who make layered templates, enjoy doing so. And we enjoy it all the more if it makes your life easier too.

Happy weekend scrappers!




Download this template from here.
And here's what I made with it.


My layout uses Jennifer's "This Woman's Work", available at The Digi Chick here.

5 comments:

Anonymous,  April 23, 2010 at 12:54 AM  

Lovely template! Thank you!

Kristi a.k.a. Kristi8004 April 23, 2010 at 9:39 AM  

Awesome template, thanks so much for sharing.

Mazette April 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

Thank you so much......

supermandy April 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM  

YOU. ROCK. You just said everything that I've said in my head a hundred times! lol I scrap because I want to showcase the pictures of my beautiful children- I want to make them WORK for their space on my external hard drive! ;) So however that comes about is irrelevant sometimes. Scrapping makes me happy, it frames my pictures and it's a great way to keep my graphic skills in shape while I'm a stay at home mom without actually "working!" Thanks for the awesome template!

Katharyn Brine May 14, 2010 at 12:43 AM  

No, SuperMandy. YOU rock. Thanks for such a lovely comment about my blathering! Glad to know I've connected with somebody out there, la-la-LA!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disclaimer

As a creative team member for several digital scrapbook designers, I have received their products for free in return for creating and posting projects (digital layouts, hybrids projects, etc). Many of the layouts you see here were done in conjunction with requirements for these creative teams. Please be advised that the products used were indeed received for free.
The Daily Scrapper - Topsites Best Scrapbooking Sites, Digital Scrapbooking, Scrapbook Supplies, Reviews, Awards
List of the Best Digital Scrapbooking Websites by Scrapbook MAX!SCRAPBOOKING TOP 500 The Daily Scrapper - Topsites Free Digital Scrapbooking

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP