Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hybrid Hump Day - One Card Three Ways

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by the blog today! I love how easy it is to create a great-looking and one of a kind card using digital scrapbook supplies. I also love how I can take the basics from a kit and create a very fancy card if I have the time.

Today I thought I would share some ideas with you for taking your hybrid cards to the next level. I started creating a simple, all-digi card by selecting a paper from Jennifer’s NEW RELEASE, Splendiferious, (coming to The Digi Chick tomorrow, 9/16!!) for my card base, and then I clipped a couple of papers to some rounded square masks. Then I added a flower element from the kit, a button element to the center of the flower, and a ribbon at the bottom of the card. The key to making a successful all-digi card is with the shadowing. I like to keep the distance at 0 or 1 so my papers will have a shadow around all edges. Then I play with the other two settings until I achieve what looks right to me.

Photobucket

Here's the first card -
Photobucket

You just print your card, fold it or adhere it to a blank card base, and go!

But say your toddler is taking a longer-than-expected nap and you decide you want to take your card to the next level. You can add a couple more elements to the card, like a doodled border and word art. Next, instead of leaving it all on one layer and printing it, you can drag each element to an 8.5x11” document and then cut each piece out to give it a more hand-crafted look.

Photobucket


Now say your toddler goes to bed early, so you find yourself with even more time on your hands (I know, I know, but entertain me in my fantasy world for a minute). Now you can not only drag each element to another page to print and cut out separately, but you can also use your fancy dies to cut your squares into elaborate shapes, and you have time to dig through your extensive collection of flowers, brads, ribbons, and other goodies, and you can embellish the card to your heart’s delight!
No one card is inherently better than the next – they just vary in their stages of embellishment and time required to make the card.

You can see on this last card I have used my Nestabilities Labels One dies to cut the paper mats in the center. I have also cut out varying sizes of the blue flower, layered it together with a brad in the middle, crumpled the living daylights out of it, and then reshaped it into what you see here. I added a little rhinestone bling to the flower center, and adhered it to the card using some 3-D foam adhesive. Then I added some red line tape to the bottom of the card, and attached the brown grosgrain ribbon in varying pleats.

Photobucket

So next time you're setting out to make a hybrid card, give one of these advanced techniques a shot and see how easy it really is to take your card to the next level.

2 comments:

Donna Espiritu September 15, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

really cool, i love the simple to advance stages hehehe fab tut!

Miss Behaving [badly] September 15, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

Great post, and so cute - I love your writing xxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disclaimer

As a creative team member for several digital scrapbook designers, I have received their products for free in return for creating and posting projects (digital layouts, hybrids projects, etc). Many of the layouts you see here were done in conjunction with requirements for these creative teams. Please be advised that the products used were indeed received for free.
The Daily Scrapper - Topsites Best Scrapbooking Sites, Digital Scrapbooking, Scrapbook Supplies, Reviews, Awards
List of the Best Digital Scrapbooking Websites by Scrapbook MAX!SCRAPBOOKING TOP 500 The Daily Scrapper - Topsites Free Digital Scrapbooking

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP